A few months ago, I discovered a couple of old windows up in my attic. Actually, it was the top and bottom half of a single window, but let’s not get hung up on technicalities. I’m not sure where this window came from, as none of the windows in my entire house are this size. I was glad to have found them, though! I knew they would be fun to repurpose, I just needed to find a good place for them. While recently redoing our guest room, I decided that one of the windows would look great above the bed. I really love how it turned out, and it honestly wasn’t as hard as I imagined to revitalize and repurpose an old window.
(This post contains affiliate links. To see my full disclosure, go here.)
The first thing I did was wipe the window down with a wet paper towel. I have no idea how long it was sitting up in the attic, but it had a pretty good layer of dust and dirt on it!
There was a strip of plastic along the front of the window that we decided to pull off. It left a couple of crevices in the window that my husband filled in with spackle.
He simply ran some spackle over the crack and smoothed it out with his finger.
Once he had spackled the entire length, he went over it with a putty knife to get it as smooth as possible.
Then, I went over all of the wood and spackle with a bit of sandpaper. I didn’t worry about taking all of the previous paint off, or getting all the way down to the wood. I just wanted to roughen the surface up a bit, so that the paint would stick to it.
My husband had the brilliant idea to set the window up on two sawhorses, which seriously saved my very pregnant back. Duh. (I’m pretty sure my brain is not firing on all cylinders right now…)
Anyway, I then gave it three coats of paint. The third coat was really just a bit of touch up. The whole window didn’t need a third coat, just certain areas.
Once the paint was completely dry, my husband scraped the excess paint off of the glass. First, he scored along the edge where the wood met the glass with a box cutter. Then, using a razor scraper, he simply scraped the dried paint off.
We once again cleaned it all up, and added two sawtooth hangers on the back. Finally, using 20 lb. picture hangers, we hung the window above the guest bed.
I had purchased a wreath a few weeks prior with the thought that I may put it in our newly redecorated entryway. It didn’t end up working out for the entryway, but I knew it would be perfect to hang on the window.
I love it, and think it fits the room well.
Now, to figure out what to do to the other half of the window…