Easy Matcha Latte
This easy matcha latte is vegan, naturally sweetened, and contains only 4 ingredients. It provides a great boost of energy, as well as numerous health benefits.
I have to admit, I’m relatively new to matcha. I’m not sure I had even ever heard of it prior to a few months ago. Now that I have discovered it, though, I may never turn back!
After I was diagnosed with cancer, I began researching and looking for things that were proven to help prevent disease. Green tea was one thing that I saw over and over again in my research. The benefits of green tea are vast and fairly well documented. The problem was, in order to really reap all the benefits of green tea, you have to drink like 3-5 cups a day. That’s not to say that you won’t get any benefit from just 1 or 2 cups, but I’m looking for maximum return here. And 3-5 cups of green tea is honestly just more than I can manage on a day to day basis.
That’s when I discovered matcha – a much more concentrated version of green tea packed full of disease fighting elements. Because it is more powerful than green tea, you don’t have to consume as much to get the same benefit.
Well, that made me sit up and pay attention. So, I started to try matcha in various different forms and drinks. As soon as I made this matcha latte, though, I knew I had found my winner.
I often make this matcha latte in the afternoon for a little pick me up after lunch.
Health Benefits of Matcha
(This post contains affiliate links. To see my full disclosure, go here.)
- Matcha is full of catechins, which are plant compounds that act as antioxidants. Antioxidants help stabilize free radicals, which can damage cells and cause various different diseases. Matcha contains significantly more catechins than other types of green tea, so the benefits are greater.
- It may help prevent cancer. Matcha is particularly high in the catechin ECGC, which has been shown to have pretty powerful anti-cancer properties.
- Matcha may help protect against heart disease. It has a similar profile to green tea, and green tea has been shown to lower levels of total and LDL cholesterol, as well as triglycerides.
- It gives a great energy boost without the crash afterward. Matcha has a pretty concentrated amount of caffeine in it, however, it also contains l-theanine, which helps mitigate the crash in energy levels that often happens after caffeine consumption.
- Matcha – The star of the show. Matcha is a whole leaf version of green tea that is absolutely packed with nutrients and health benefits.
- Non-dairy milk – Any unsweetened, non-dairy milk will work here. My favorite is almond milk, so that’s generally what I use.
- Medjool Dates – I use one whole date in this recipe to sweeten the latte a bit. I like using dates for sweetener, when possible, as it provides whole food nutrition. Dates are full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. They also have a lower glycemic load than other natural sweeteners. (Maple syrup can be substituted for the date here.)
- Vanilla extract – I like using just a bit of vanilla for flavor.
Easy Matcha Latte Preparation Tips
If you plan to create this recipe exactly as written, you will need a high powered blender. A high powered blender is the best way to get the date fully pureed into the milk. The high powered blender will also create a nice bit of froth.
If you don’t have a high powered blender, then I would recommend using maple syrup as a sweetener, instead of a date. It will still taste delicious, but will be much easier to blend.
After the latte is blended, you can either pour on ice to enjoy cold, or warm in the microwave for a nice hot latte. I prefer to warm mine up.
Easy Matcha Latte
- 8-10 oz Unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp Matcha
- 1 Pitted Medjool Date
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Start on a lower speed and gradually increase speed until all ingredients are blended smooth.
- Pour over ice, or warm in microwave.
How about you? Have you ever tried matcha? What is your favorite matcha drink?
Don’t forget to pin this for later, and follow me on Pinterest for more inspiration!