A number of years ago, I had a bout with some serious health issues. For awhile, doctors couldn’t figure out what was going on, and at one point, gluten-intolerance came up as a possibility. I ended up testing negative for celiac disease, but I decided to go gluten-free for awhile anyway. I wanted to see if it made a difference or not. Though I ultimately realized that gluten was not a problem for me, and I am now back to eating gluten, I discovered some fantastic recipes during my foray into being gluten-free. This spinach and feta quinoa salad is one of them.
(This post contains affiliate links. To see my full disclosure, go here.)
I originally had this at a party that a friend of ours was hosting. I liked it so much that I begged her for the recipe. She was happy to provide it, although I’m not sure where she obtained it from. It was a great dish during the months that I was gluten-free, but even now, we keep this recipe in regular rotation.
I love the fact that it’s all fresh, whole ingredients without a lot of fuss. It’s easy to put together and just so yummy. The sweetness of the corn, the bite of the pepper, and the tanginess of the feta makes for a great explosion of flavors.
All you have to do is cook the quinoa according to package directions. I like truRoots Organic Quinoa – 12 oz. While that is cooking, chop up all the veggies and sauté them together in a wide skillet.
When the quinoa and veggies are finished cooking, toss it all together along with the feta.
So easy! And it makes for a deliciously fresh dish that can be enjoyed all year round.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. quinoa
- 3 ear of corn
- 2 jalapeños (or 1 anaheim if you don't like the kick)
- 1 bunch scallions
- 5 oz. spinach
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 5 oz. feta cheese
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. (Rinse quinoa. Dump 1 c. quinoa and 2 c. water into pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low and cover for 15 minutes.)
- Slice scallions into thin rounds including 2 inches of the greens. Dice jalapeños and finely chop garlic. Slice corn off of the cob.
- Warm oil in wide skillet. Over medium heat, cook scallions and jalapeños for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, corn, cumin, spinach and 2 tbsp. of water.
- When the spinach is wilted, add quinoa and feta.
- Toss together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.