With Memorial Day coming up soon, many of you probably have fun holiday gatherings planned. Whether you are hosting a party, or attending one, these three patriotic treats are incredibly easy to make and are sure to add a bit of festive flair to any gathering.
Those who know me, know that I have a pretty fierce sweet tooth. My mom loves to bake, and so there were always amazing, homemade treats around when I was growing up. Actually, there are still always amazing treats around at my parents house. Well, at least for me there are… My parents live two states away, and my dad always complains that the only time he ever gets homemade pies or cakes or cookies is when we come to visit. Ha!
While I definitely enjoy baking myself, sometimes (especially with a two year old running around) it can be a bit tedious and time consuming. So, I love it when I can whip up some yummy treats quickly and easily. And even better when they are holiday themed!
Today, I’m bringing you three different treats that all use candy melts (aka melting wafers). Trust me, these are all super easy to put together and only take about 10-15 minutes total.
(This post contains affiliate links. To see my full disclosure, go here.)
First up, my favorite –
Chocolate Covered Oreos
Oh man, I don’t buy Oreos very often because they really are one of my favorites. Therefore, I have absolutely no self control when it comes to them. None. Nada. And let me tell you, these chocolate covered ones were even more irresistible.
Here’s what you do:
- Melt the candy according to instructions. I chose the microwave version. Simply place the wafers in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, depending on brand. Stir. If not fully melted, continue to microwave in 15 seconds intervals and stir until smooth.
- Drop one Oreo into the bowl of melted candy. (For these, I used regular Oreos, not double stuffed.) Then, flip the Oreo over onto the other side to coat both sides. (I used a fork for flipping, as well as for pulling the Oreo out of the bowl.) Make sure the entire Oreo is covered in chocolate.
- Pull Oreo out of the bowl and place onto wax paper.
- While the chocolate is still wet, shake some sprinkles on the top.
- Let them set for approximately 15 minutes. Then, try to resist eating every last one of them right then and there. (Ha! Good luck with that.)
That’s it! Done with the Oreos.
Next, we have –
Chocolate covered strawberries
- Make sure strawberries are rinsed and completely dry. If they are wet at all, the chocolate will not want to stick to them.
- Set aside a small bowl full of colored sugar/sugar sprinkles.
- Melt the candy in the same manner as listed above.
- Holding onto the stem of the strawberry, simply dip the end of the strawberry into the bowl of melted chocolate. Roll it around a bit to get all sides covered. For the purpose of these patriotic berries, I left some of the red strawberry visible at the top.
- Set the strawberry onto wax paper.
- Let the strawberries set for just a few minutes.
- Again, holding onto the stem of the strawberry, dip just the end of the strawberry in the colored sugar, and place back onto the wax paper. (For this step you want the chocolate to be just slightly set. If you try to dip it in sugar immediately after dipping it in the melted chocolate, it will be too runny.)
- Store in refrigerator, and eat within a couple of days.
Once again, you’re done! So easy!
Finally, I give you –
Chocolate covered pretzel sticks
These were probably the most fun to make, and yet, they were just as easy as the others.
- Once again, melt the chocolate as listed above.
- Holding one end of the pretzel stick, dip the other end into the bowl of chocolate. My bowl wasn’t deep enough to fit the entire length of the pretzel. So, I used a spoon and spooned chocolate onto the upper part of the pretzel stick to help coat it.
- Lay the pretzel stick onto wax paper.
- For the sprinkle ones, I simply shook a generous amount of sprinkles onto them while the chocolate was still wet.
- For the striped ones, I let the chocolate set first. When the chocolate was set, I used writing icing to create the stripes. Hold the writing icing a few inches above the pretzel sticks. While squeezing, move the icing back and forth across the pretzel sticks in a continuous motion until you have as many stripes as you would like.
- Repeat with the second color.
Voila! And the third treat is finished.
So, there you have it. Three fast and easy treats that will help make any holiday party a bit more patriotic.
Shop similar products: