Hello, friends. I’m back with another simple DIY decor project that I’ve put together for my daughter’s room. An adorable hair bow holder.
From the time her hair was long enough to hold a bow, I’ve enjoyed putting them on her. I’m a girly girl and just can’t resist all of the pink and frills and accessories that come with a little girl. She would never tolerate a full headband, or head wrap, for long, but the bows always stayed put. It is even to the point now that she pretty much insists on having a bow in her hair at all times. The minute I put a rubber band in her hair, she reaches up to touch it and says, “Bow?” So, we always make sure to put a bow in her hair.
Needless to say, we have a fair amount of bows around our house.
In her nursery, I had a bow holder that a good friend had made for me. Her nursery was blue and pink, as was the bow holder. Unfortunately, the colors don’t work in her new room. Plus, I wanted something a little bigger, since the one in her nursery had become pretty crowded.
Once again, just as it was with the ribbon mobile I made (click here if you missed that post), I was surprised at how easy this was to make and how adorable it turned out.
(This post contains affiliate links. To see my full disclosure, go here.)
Here’s what you need:
- a frame of your choosing
- deglosser (optional)
- one can of spray paint
- approximately 2 yards of ribbon
- flower appliques
I had an idea in my head of how I wanted this project to turn out. Since I didn’t have any frames laying around my house that would work, I headed to Michael’s one afternoon. The weekend I went, all frames were 60% off, plus I had a coupon on top of that. Score!
I chose an 11″ x 14″ frame that I liked, and that wasn’t too expensive.
The first thing I did when I got home was wipe the frame down with deglosser. I use Klean-Strip Quart Easy Liquid Sander Deglosser. (Deglosser acts as liquid sander, and helps paint stick to the surface it is applied to.) Truthfully, this probably wasn’t necessary, especially considering the frame I chose, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.
After letting that dry for 10-15 minutes, I applied the first coat of paint. For the paint, I used Rust-Oleum 302596 Chalked Spray Paint, 12 oz, Chiffon Cream/Off White.
If you’ve never used spray paint, here are a few helpful tips.
- It’s best to do it somewhere sheltered, like a garage or shed. If you are outside, you risk the wind blowing dirt/leaves/bugs/etc. onto your freshly painted, and wet, project. You should open the door or a window though to help ventilate the space.
- I usually spread a drop cloth out beneath my project. You can elevate your project on a box if you’d like, but I don’t think it’s really necessary. I’ve never had a problem with projects getting stuck to the cloth.
- Use the spray paint as directed. Shake well first. Then, spray using a continuous motion about 10-12″ from your object.
- Let dry. Then, repeat step #3.
After I had put a couple of coats of paint on, I realized that due to the nature of the frame, I wasn’t going to get a nice smooth paint job. The wood of the frame is very rough and uneven. So, it naturally acquired a bit of a distressed look. Although I hadn’t planned on this, I ended up actually really liking it.
I put three coats on in total. Then, went back and filled in a couple of particularly rough spots that were still looking a bit blue. For those spots, I sprayed a few quick shots of paint at much closer range (4-5″ away).
After the paint was finished drying, I applied the flower appliqués. (I probably should have done the ribbon first, but it didn’t end up being a problem.)
For the flowers, I spent a few minutes getting them arranged on the frame in a way that I liked. Then, I simply took a hot glue gun, put a little blob of glue on the back of each flower, and glued it into place.
Voila! So easy!
For the final step, I did a bit of measuring. I knew that I wanted four ribbons evenly spaced. So, I measured the inside of the frame (14″ across) and then divided by 5. This told me that I needed to have 5 sections that were approximately 2.8″ wide. On the back of the frame, I made a little mark on both the top and bottom of the frame every 2.8″.
Then, I cut four pieces of ribbon that were all the same length.
Finally, I got out my handy hot glue gun again. I put a strip of glue across the top (back) of the frame at the first mark and stuck one end of the ribbon down. I then put another strip on the bottom of the frame (again, right where I had marked), pulled the ribbon somewhat taut, and glued it to the other end.
Repeat this four times for all four ribbons, and then call it a day.
I really love the finished product.
It works so well in her new room, and we now have a space for all her bows. (Click here to see the full room reveal.) I think there’s even a bit of room to fit a few more on. You know, just in case…. 😉