Today is my birthday, and I thought it would be fun to create a list of random things that many people may not know about me.
Now, I wish I could say that this is 30 things for my 30th birthday, but alas, I am a bit past 30. I knew that coming up with a list of 30 would be hard enough, though, and I figure we need to leave a little mystery behind the blogger. You feel me? 😀
So, here goes nothing.
- I’ve always been somewhat anti-technology/social media. (Blogging makes perfect sense, then, doesn’t it?!) I have gotten better about it in recent years, but the world of blogging has had a very sharp learning curve for me.
- I fractured my pinky finger in elementary school (5th grade maybe?) playing kickball with my cousin. It’s the only bone I’ve ever broken.
- I’ve also only ever had one “surgery,” which was having my wisdom teeth removed. *Knock on wood that my luck continues.
- I have two degrees in piano and worked for a number of years as a professional pianist before having my daughter. It’s definitely something that I may return to in the future, because I do miss performing.
- I have competed in a few pageants. I don’t always like to admit this, because I don’t consider myself a “pageant girl.” I did compete in (and win) a few in my early 20s, though, because the scholarship money was great.
- The odd thing is, though, that I don’t really like getting dressed up. I would much rather be wearing jeans and a comfortable shirt, as opposed to a dress or skirt.
- I can’t keep an indoor plant alive to save my life. Seriously. I try to tell myself it’s because my house is almost entirely shaded and we don’t get enough sun. I’m pretty sure it’s more than just that though.
- I once got separated (very briefly) from my family in a haunted Halloween tent. It was set up specifically for kids and families, so it wasn’t anything like a true haunted house. I was young enough, though, that it pretty much scarred me for life.
- I still love decorating for Halloween though. I may even prefer Halloween decorations to Christmas decorations…
- One of my favorite things to do, in any city, is go to the zoo.
- When I was a kid, some of the things that I wanted to be when I grew up included a trapeze artist in the circus, a paleontologist, and a storm chaser.
- I still love thunderstorms to this day. As long as they don’t occur while my child is sleeping…
- Mystery and suspense is one of my favorite book genres. I love murder mysteries and thrillers. The weird thing is, I can read all about blood and guts, but I absolutely cannot watch it. No way. No how.
- The only sport that I ever competed in growing up was swimming.
- I LOVE the water. I have always loved the water, and I dream of someday living right on a lake/river/ocean/etc. I truly feel at home in the water.
- I love musical theater. My only claim to fame, though, is playing Minnie Faye in my high school production of Hello, Dolly. It was the first (and only) lead role that I ever tried out for.
- I am terrible at picking favorites. When those get-to-know-you surveys start surfacing on Facebook, I never participate in them because I can’t ever come up with a favorite book/movie/song/etc.
- The one favorite I do have is color. Pink!
- I’ve been to 12 countries outside of the United States. My favorite destination so far has been Ireland.
- My first car was a ’65 Mustang. I’ve always had an appreciation for old classics because of my dad. As cool as the car was, though, I’m not sure I could go back to no power steering/brakes, no A/C, and a really poor radio with only a tape deck…
- I am a rule follower. Almost to a fault. I literally cannot hardly bring myself to break a rule, even if everyone else is doing it.
- I hate the cold and have space heaters in almost every room of my house.
- We ditched cable at the beginning of the year, and the truth is, I really don’t miss TV at all.
- I love being outside (when it’s warm, of course). I love the wind and sunshine and nature, but if you throw a bug in my path….you will get quite a show. I’m afraid I’ve already passed on this dislike for bugs to my daughter. Hopefully, she will outgrow it.
- I have two tattoos. For those who know me well (and know how straight-laced and type-A I am), this is often surprising.
- When I was 15, I was visiting my cousins in Council Bluffs, IA. One night, I went with my cousin, who is a couple years older than me, and his friends to the cemetery. Apparently, there were set hours at the cemetery, but I was not aware of this. We ended up getting picked up by the cops for being there past closing and driven back to my cousins house in the back of a squad car. Nothing bad happened – no handcuffs, no citations, etc. – but I can now say I’ve ridden in the back of a cop car.
- I don’t like big crowds or large gatherings. I’m a pretty introverted person, and I get really anxious in crowded places.
- I’m a terrible morning person. It takes me forever to fully wake up, and I hate having to leave the comfort of my covers in the morning. With a two-year old at home, I don’t really have much choice, but it’s still not my favorite thing.
- I have run 3 half marathons and participated in 1 triathlon. I have a love/hate relationship with running though and am a very on and off runner.
- I had 3 kidney stones when I was in high school. The first two happened within a month of each other, and I missed the first week of my junior year. The third, and final one, happened the day of my high school graduation, and I nearly missed graduation because of it. Fortunately, I was released from the hospital in time and sat front and center. 🙂
Well, that’s literally all I’ve got. It’s really hard to come up with 30 fun facts about yourself!
I’d love to know a random fact or story about you. Leave me your best one in the comments!