I told you in my last post that I loved peppermint. Well, I also love coffee. (What toddler parent doesn’t?) So, when the holiday season rolls around and I can combine two of my greatest food loves, peppermint AND coffee, I am in heaven.
A few years ago, I discovered flavored half and half, which I immediately started buying. It had a short list of about 3-4 ingredients (depending on the flavor), all of which were totally recognizable. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a coffee creamer that a) has such a short list of ingredients, and b) doesn’t include something either unrecognizable or vaguely labeled as “natural flavor.” So, I was thrilled to discover the flavored half and half.
The problem is, I have yet to see a holiday flavored half and half. All of the fantastic holiday flavored creamers that tempt me in the grocery store include a number of questionable ingredients. So, I decided to try my hand at making my own. I figured it couldn’t be that hard. And guess what? It wasn’t!
Even my husband said, “I never would have thought to make my own creamer, but what a great idea! And so simple.”
And it’s SO. GOOD. Seriously, I couldn’t believe that it was so easy to make and turned out so well. I may never buy store bought creamer again. I’m already thinking of other flavors I could try…
So, for you fellow peppermint fanatics, here’s the recipe.
- 2 c. half and half (or milk/nut milk of your choice)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6-8 drops peppermint extract
- Mix half and half and sugar together in small pan.
- Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cocoa, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Whisk until combined.
- Note: Be very careful with the peppermint extract. It is very strong, so I recommend starting with just 6-8 drops. You can always increase the amount if you want a stronger flavor, but you can't remove it if you add too much to begin with. So, just add slowly until you get your desired amount.